The Prince's Dairy Initiative
The Prince’s Dairy Initiative, launched in 2012, is a dairy-sector led project. It aims to strengthen the UK dairy supply chain by improving the viability of dairy farms. Farmers who have been identified as likely to cease their work benefit from a package of business advice and support which is aimed at improving their confidence and increasing efficiency.
"It is a good thing to stand back and look at the business with a critical eye every now and then. The past week has seen me look hard at various aspects of the farm where changes can be made to be more efficient, so thank you once again." Farmer who participated in The Prince’s Dairy Initiative, Crathorne
Nearly 300 farms have taken part in The Prince’s Dairy Initiative since 2012.
The initiative is targeted towards traditional family dairy farmers with milking herds of up to 200 cows who are on standard contract types. Through a benchmarking programme and series of workshops it aims to:
- Help ensure a diverse, resilient dairy farming sector in the UK.
- Support farmers in tackling the key challenges they face, such as volatile prices,
- increased regulatory demands, the health of their herd and use of resources.
- Improve the efficiency of farms.
- Establish a supportive network of local like-minded farmers to share ideas and best practice.
- Farms participating in the programme receive benchmarking of their farm production costs, currently delivered by farm business consultants Andersons , and a series of free practical workshops, delivered locally on topics such as herd health and financial management, by Promar International agricultural consultancy and Kite Consulting.
Nearly 300 farm businesses have taken part in the initiative to date and the vast majority have implemented positive changes as a result.
The Prince’s Dairy Initiative’s current sponsors include AB Agri, Anglia Farmers, Arla, Crediton, Dairy Crest, Dugdale Nutrition, Fayrefields Foods, First Milk, For Farmers, Glanbia Cheese, Meadow Foods, Medina Dairy, Mole Valley Farmers, Müller-Wiseman, OMSCO, Wensleydale Creameries, Wyke Farms and Volac.
It is also supported by DairyUK, NFU and RABDF. We manage the initiative in partnership with AHDB Dairy.
To find out more about this programme please contact Maddy Fitzgerald on 020 7566 8797 or email@example.com